Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:12:47 -0400
From:      "Norman C. Rice" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP <FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail relaying

On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 03:32:11PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I thought you folks here on this list would know more than most about
> sendmail, so while I'm not an ISP (not today, not on this personal
> machine problem) I think this is the right audience.
>
> I just got a mail from ORBS (http://www.orbs.org/) telling me I'm an
> open mail relay on my home machine.  I run current here, no mods, and
> since I thought that sendmail 8.9.3 came with relaying off by default, I
> didn't need to do anything to stop it.

The standard configuration file, /usr/src/sendmail/freebsd.mc, has

 FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)dnl

which allows relaying as follows (from sendmail's cf/README):

 relay_based_on_MX
       Turns on the ability to allow relaying based on the MX
       records of the host portion of an incoming recipient.  See
       description below for more information before using this
       feature.

 You can also allow relaying based on the MX records of the host
 portion of an incoming recipient address by using

     FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)

 For example, if your server receives a recipient of user@domain.com
 and domain.com lists your server in its MX records, the mail will be
 accepted.  Note that this will stop spammers from using your host to
 relay spam but it will not stop outsiders from using your server as a
 relay for their site.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.