Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:36:27 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nslookup problem please help.

Hello,

Note that changing the serial number doesn't help if the rest of the
data in the file is incorrect :-)  (as I described in a previous
message).

Also, note that using a date-style string for the serial number in
the SOA records is merely a convenience for the DNS administrator,
so that it's easy to see when a DNS record was last updated. The only
requirement from named's point of view is that a new serial number
must be *greater than* the old serial number, otherwise named
won't think that the configuration file has been updated.

Also note that when changing values in DNS, some servers will have
cached the old values, and they won't time out until the "TTL"
time (given either in the SOA records, on the A record itself,
or in the $TTL directive) has passed. (In general, one would
allow for the Refresh time also, but in this case it looks like
both dns servers are directly controlled and can be updated
with the correct information at the same time.)

Regards,
Carol

jahanur wrote:

> I think I have it right it is set as 19991012
> thanks
> Jahanur
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 up@3.am wrote:
>

> > You named is NOT set up correctly.  You need to advance your serial
> > number PAST:  19990902
> >
> > You currently have it as:
> >
> > 1999080205
> >
> > Don't forget to HUP named...
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, jahanur wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am having problem with one my customers domain name.
> > > I am setting it up as a virtual name.
> > > We have a lot of virtuals they are all working fine.Even I added different
> > > domain name after this particular one and they are all working fine.
> > > Domain name is turkishtop500.com.
> > > If I do whois turkishtop500.com. it shows our dns entries successfully.
> > > And named was setup correctly also.
> > > but if I do nslookup on turkishtop500.com it resolves to old server.
> > > I dont have any clue to what is going on.
> > > I thought if I change it with the Internic it should automaticaly look for
> > > our servers.
> > > Please help.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Jahanur@jjsoft.com

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
> > >

> > James Smallacombe                   PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
> > up@3.am                                                           http://3.am

Carol Deihl - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:carol@tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development
  Tinker Internet Services - Superior FreeBSD-based Web Hosting
                     http://www.tinker.com/