Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:02:19 -0800
From:      Matthew Ahrens <mahrens@delphix.com>
To:        Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Defaults in 10.0 ZFS through bsdinstall

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed a couple of things with the ZFS defaults that result from
> using the new installer in 10.0-BETA3.
>
> One, atime is turned off everywhere by default.  There was a thread on
> this list on June 8 with a subject of 'Changing the default for ZFS
> atime to off?', and from what I can tell the idea of turning off atime
> by default was not a popular one.

 It would be a pity if people compared ZFS on FreeBSD vs UFS on FreeBSD
(using the installer's defaults) and came to the conclusion that "Mail
programs don't work on ZFS on FreeBSD, use UFS instead."  I think it's well
known that there are performance differences between ZFS and UFS, depending
on your workload.  If you choose defaults that cause there to be
correctness differences, that could be detrimental.

--matt