Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 15:17:11 +1100
From:      Ian Wynne <ianwynne@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp

Hello People:

I'm setting up user land ppp on my FreeBSD 2.1.5R machine.

The ppp connection works fine, when I dial my ISP the ppp dials up
and logs in nicely, and the ppp changes to PPP ON> showing the ppp
interface is up.

The problem I'm having is a routing problem. I don't have a proper ip
number for my machine, so I've given it the number 10.0.0.2 in my
/etc/hosts file.

The following is a copy of my ppp.conf file, I've called my isp "z",
z:
 set debug
 set phone xxxxxxx
 set redial 30 4
 accept pap
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:-\\r-ogin: myname word: passwd ts> ppp"
 set timeout 0
 set openmode active
 set ifaddr 0 0

The set ifaddr 0 0 allows my machine to have it's ip number allocated by
the isp machine. I've looked through the ppp.log file and that works
perfectly also.

I have the following line in my /etc/sysconfig file;
ifconfig_tun0="inet 10.0.0.2 203.2.228.19  netmask 0xffffff00"

The problem occurs after I have made a successful connection, I can't
ping my isp's machine.

If I type netstat -r, netstat just hangs, the routing information is
being clobbered somewhere. It's my guess that the routing information
is being clobbered  by the dynamic ip number allocation, however I can't
think of a way to stop it.

I've asked my isp to allocate two ip numbers to me permanently, however
just at the moment he doesn't have the facilities to do that.

Can somebody please give me some suggestions about what to do, or about
what I might be doing wrong.

Best regards,

Ian Wynne