Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:08:43 -0700
From:      "Mooneer Salem" <mooneer@translator.cx>
To:        "'Paul Robinson'" <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: BSD certification.

Hello,

I meant to reply to this message, but I haven't had the time until now.
:) Anyways, while reviewing for the LPI certification exams (there's a
lot of obscure stuff that isn't used often in server administration, it
seems) I thought of "the ultimate (insert OS here)" certification exam.

In the United States, high school students have the option of taking
Advanced Placement exams (http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/). Most
colleges and universities award college credit for successfully
challenging these exams. Each exam is about 3-4 hours long, and usually
consists of a multiple choice section followed by a free response
question (basically questions requiring answers in paragraph or essay
form). They're offered only once a year, in May.

This kind of concept could be adapted for any kind of FreeBSD
certification exam. There would be a multiple choice section (it'd be
about 1/3rd of the total exam score) and a lab section. The multiple
choice section would be just like any other certification exam. It'd
cover basic systems administration essentials, FreeBSD commands, etc.

After taking the multiple choice section of the exam, the test takers
would go to another room with rows of computers on the desks. Before the
actual exam takes place, the exam creators would take a hard drive,
install FreeBSD on it, and then basically manufacture a problem that
would require a sysadmin to fix it (such as a trashed boot sector or
Apache). Preferably the problem would normally take about an hour to two
hours to solve. Each test taker would have access to a FreeBSD CD and
the Internet (for Google). Network and routing information would be
provided on a whiteboard in the front of the room in case the computers
are not set up properly for networking.

Once each test taker fixes their computer entirely, they would access a
Web page on the server in front of the room (where the gateway specified
above would be). The server would record the fact that they completed
the lab portion of the test and run some automatic checks (are the
services that need to be up, up? Is Apache configured properly by
showing this particular page? etc.). Once the checks are complete, this
information would be saved and the test taker's computer would be
remotely shut down.

The multiple choice portion of the exam would be graded automatically.
Every test taker would know their results on this portion after the test
is complete. Grading for the lab portion of the exam would be as
follows:

50%: completion of automatic checks by lab server (the test taker would
know
     their score on this portion immediately as well)
50%: manual inspection of server

Every computer used in the test room is manually inspected after the
test takers leave. It's checked to make sure things like the proper
number of users is created, they have secure passwords, and other things
that can't be completed through an automatic check. Points would be
added/deducted based on how well the server was set up or "fixed".
Altogether, the lab portion of the exam would be worth 2/3rds of the
total exam score.

Based on the performance of previous exam sessions, score thresholds
would be set. The possible grades you could get on this exam could be
something like this:

5: Exceptional mastery of systems administration
4: Above-average mastery
3: Acceptable mastery
1-2: Below acceptable (this would be equivalent to getting an F in a
class)

Because thresholds would be different every exam session, this means
that if the highest scoring test takers only got a 60%, they could still
get a 5. This would cover cases where the test makers decided to
introduce a situation not commonly faced by sysadmins (like a new worm
or security vulnerability).

This concept could also be extended to add add-on certification for
things like networking and security administration, although these
probably wouldn't be done at the same time as the main examination.
Because of the expense of equipping exam centers with computers that the
examiners can install FreeBSD on without getting in trouble (I don't
think the VUE centers that I know of would allow that), it'd probably
only be possible to do it once a year. Perhaps the exam could be given
every year during BSDcon?

In fact, the multiple choice portion of the exam could be made into a
separate exam, with full certification not being attained until the lab
session is passed (this would allow the multiple choice portion to be
administered online rather than in person).

Does anyone see any kind of fault with such a system? How could such a
system be improved?

BTW: Paul, maybe we can chat via private email more about your ideas for
certification, if you'd like. :)

Thanks,

--
Mooneer Salem
"The 8-ball won't tell me if I'll pass the final!"