Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:21:48 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid + linuxthreads in action

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 08:04:00PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> We've been trying out Squid compiled to use async-io with linuxthreads
> on FreeBSD-current today. It required a bit of fiddling to work around
> incorrect assumptions in Squid's build and configuration stuff:
>
> To CFLAGS I added: -D_THREAD_SAFE -DLINUXTHREADS -I/usr/local/include
> To XTRA_LIBS I added: -kthread
>
> I modified src/aiops.c and src/main.c to test for _SQUID_LINUX_THREADS_
> instead of (defined(_SQUID_LINUX_) && USE_ASYNC_IO) and altered
> include/config.h.in to define _SQUID_LINUX_THREADS_ in the appropriate
> situations.
>
> After running `configure` I had to edit src/Makefile to remove
> -pthread from LDFLAGS. (It would be better for the long term to alter
> configure.in and rebuild configure, but...)
>
> Squid then compiles and runs OK, apart from a few things:
>
> When the parent Squid process shuts down it leaves behind a pile of
> orphan processes (the async-io handler threads). A glance at the aio
> code reveals that Squid expects the pthread library to kill them --
> they just loop indefinitely. They also keep the listen socket open, so
> the RunCache script can't restart Squid :-(

Ok.  I finally got squid compiled and running.  When I do any of the
following:

squid -k shutdown
squid -k kill
squid -k interrupt

all the squid processes get killed.  After a short time squid
restarts (I assume this is RunCache that does this).  I seem
to get 18 processes (threads) going.

When you say you get orphan processes, is this what you're
doing?

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450