Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:36:22 -0500
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: OOo-3 and OOo-3-RC [?]

On 10/28/08, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
>         Maybe somebody in ports can help me understand the relationship between
>         the openoffice.org-3 and the openoffice.org-3-RC.  I ask because last
>         time I got stuck with OOo-2-RC (that I see is still in editors/.
>         portupgrade says the latter cannot be upgraded.
>
>         Ideally, I'd like to go with OOo-3 antil it is exceptionally good and
>         stay there until OOo-4.  (FWIW, I'm very happily at openoffice-2.4.
>         Somehow.  I'd be much obliged if somebody could explain this numbering!

Reviewing the openoffice.org-3 and the openoffice.org-3-RC ports
Makefiles I was able to determine that the openoffice.org-3 port is
for the current release of OpenOffice (3.0.0).  While the
openoffice.org-3-RC port contains a snapshop of the development
version of OpenOffice (3.0.x) that was checked out on SNAPDATE.  The
openoffice.org-3-RC is a snap shot of the next release on the 3.0.x
branch.

Scot