Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:21:45 +0200
From:      "Eelke Blok" <e.blok@student.utwente.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: intranet with FREEBSD

From: "Albert Paijmans" <A.Paijmans@itsupport.hvu.nl>

> I have a WIN98 computer and I'am interested in BSD. I create my own
website
> but not hosting.
> Wat I want to  do with BSD is a local PC say a 486 or a bit faster to be a
> file and printer server.

Sounds like a job for Samba (on FreeBSD, that is :)

> So this second machine should contain a couple of
> harddisks and the printers. But can the file format only be NFS EXT2 and
> FAT16 or is FAT32 also an option?

Well, FreeBSD can access FAT16 and FAT32 partitions, but I don't think it's
a good idea to install it on either. Think of it as a tool to be able to
relatively easily share files between your OS's.

> Win 98 does use FAT32 for drives bigger
> than 2GB. If possible can I use harddisks of 20GB or above or must it be
> small drives like 2GB.

As big as you can get :)

> When this is set up I can use it to locally test my
> website. And how does installation work? Must BSD itself be installed on a
> seperate driveformat (fileformat EXT2) or just C with FAT32 and can
windows
> remain on this drive aswell?

I'm pretty sure FreeBSD requires it's own seperate disk slice. Windows can
be on the same disk, but needs to be on a different slice (unless there is
some way to install it on a "virtual disk", which really is a file on a
FAT-system, that I am unaware off - I wouldn't want it that way, though).
FreeBSD comes with a really nice boot manager, so dual boot is no problem.
But you'll need to repartition, unless you happen to have a chunk of unused
space on your HD (but who would?)

> Is it graphic installation or textbased such as
> linux?

Graphic, basically, although the "graphics" are made up of coloured
characters and the control takes a bit of getting used to. No
point-and-click mousey stuff.

> And finally what is the best way to start, wich FREEBSD package schould I
> get? And what would be a good book to learn more about it?

The latest RELEASE is a good starting point, I suppose. I think you need to
first install RELEASE anyway before you can upgrade to STABLE or CURRENT
(but I think that is a bit of a bad idea for newbies like us). If your
network-connection is any good, you could try a network-install, for which
you will only need to create bootfloppies. Have a look in the Handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org, it's all there.

Cheers,

Eelke