Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 10:51:55 +0000
From:      stuart henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG

> IMHO, HTML is the best choice for this documentation.  HTML is
> accessible from nearly everywhere, space efficient and by definition,
> hypertext.

> If a plain text version is necessary for ease of printing and access
> where a browser isn't available, use the existing SGML tools to
> produce HTML and text from one base.

At the moment, it's not very easy to get at the handbook or FAQ offline
until FreeBSD is installed. It would probably be more useful for many
people to be able to read it first - certainly in countries where phone
calls have to be paid for, online reading isn't a very sensible option.

I think at the very least, there should be a (preferably .zip) archive
of the HTML versions for offline reading.

A printable version as well would be nice: .ps is not a very good choice
because very few people in the Windows world know about ghostscript -
RTF/Word/PDF all have the advantage of being printer-independent and
usable on a reasonably standard configuration.

Plain text is so simple that it will probably confuse most people used
to Windows software (who I imagine will load it into a WP, which will
re-render it in variable width and quite likely munge things so that
when they try to print it from the WP, which I am sure they will do!,
the page numbers don't tally with the pages). You can't expect a lot of
them to consider printing it directly until *after* they've used UNIX
for a while (bearing in mind that a lot of people these days won't even
have seen a C:\> prompt).  :-) :-)

Stuart