Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - the Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        n@nectar.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports dependencies (Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os)

I'm just skimming through this discussion, as I don't have time to
read them all.  People, I know you are annoyed by many stupid things
software authors have done in the past to make your life miserable
(and believe me, I probably have more horror stories than most of
you), but can you trim those bits a little so we can have a meaningful
discussion? :)

About the shlib stuff: the biggest problem is not the lack of support
by the ports system, but the incompatibilities between various
"libfoo.so.N"s floating around.  The shlib versions are almost never
bumped correctly, and that results in the "why doesn't my libintl.so.1
work with the latest gnome when it's building on Satoshi's machine"
problems.

To (at least partially) solve this problem, I added a
ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS variable to the latest bsd.port.mk.  Please
recommend people to try it if they are having these kinds of stuff.

 * From: Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>

 * I get the feeling (not for the first time) that perhaps it is a
 * mistake to have the package database indexed by PKGNAME.  Or at
 * least, it seems that there isn't an easy way to get from what
 * I'll refer to as the ``port name'' from PKGNAME.  For example,
 * the port gtk12 was once gtk-1.2.0.  Now it is gtk-1.2.1.  I
 * think this contributes to the upgrade problem and tracking
 * dependencies with the information in /var/db/pkg.

Finally!  I've been talking about this for years, the only part
that was missing was a programmer.  Now, do I hear a volunteer? :)

-PW

P.S. The past few "volunteers" have disappeared without trace but I
     have a feeling Jacques is different. :>