Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:49:44 +1000
From:      Peter Ortner <port@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba

There is a RTFM about this (somewhere), but essentially machines announce
their presence through broadcasts - the problem here is quite obvious (the
machines on the different subnets can't see each other).

The solution is reasonably simple: enable the WINS server on your samba box,
and point all the clients at your new WINS server. You will probably also
need to tweak it so that it wins elections, so it keeps the list, rather
than NT boxes on the network.

HTH.