Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:21:10 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Mark Miller <joup@bnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are there STABLE/CURRENT/RELEASE tags for ports?

Mark Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any equivalents to STABLE/RELEASE/CURRENT for ports?  I've been
> cvsup'ing with "tag=." for awhile and I keep getting build errors (bug
> reports will be filed soon).  Is there a way to just track -STABLE ports
> (maybe that only have bugfixes and security updates) that are more likely
> to play nicely with each other?  If not, is there any way to make this
> happen?

There are no STABLE, etc tags like you describe for ports.

All ports should build properly, unless marked broken for forbidden.  When
that is the case, you don't get build errors, you get a message like:
"SuperSoftware is broken on FreeBSD 5 because it won't build with this
version of GCC"

If you're getting lots of build errors, I would suspect that something is
either wrong with your ports tree or with your FreeBSD installation.
Step 1: rm -r /usr/ports/*
Step 2: recvsup your ports
Step 3: Try again
Step 4: If 3 doesn't work, ask here about the specific failure that you
         have occurring.
Step 5: If you still don't get it working, and people on this list claim
         that it works for them, then you'll need to reinstall FreeBSD

I may get flamed for #5, but it's the only way I've fixed build failures
on occasion.  I just had this happen today (see earlier thread on
Apache+modssl) and cvsup/buildworld/installworld, reinstalling all ports,
recvsupping the ports tree ... none of it worked.  Then I wiped the drive
and installed FreeBSD from scratch and everything built like magic.

This was on a test machine that frequently gets used for all sorts of
experimenting, so I can only assume that someone did something very bad
to it (even though it operated without incident in every manner except
building ports).

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies