Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:07:46 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
Cc:        Jeff Brown <jabrown@nlanr.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hauppauge WinTV & BT848 driver problems.

Daniel, Jeff, Multimedia's
> > Roger (thats me) wrote
> > No one has written any code for the DBX and MSP chips. The overrides
> > are a red herring.
> > The Linux bttv driver has MSP3400 code in it. Perhaps someone could
> > use it to improve the FreeBSD driver?
>
> Daniel wrote
> fxtv works with the MSP3400C in 2.2.7R.  I have this in one of my home
> machines:
>
>   bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 11 on pci0:16:0
>   Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, msp3400c stereo.

Well, the bt848 driver does detect the presence of the MSP3400c.
It checks check that some device is sitting on the i2c bus at
address 0xa0.
But that is all it does. The chip is just not used at this time.

The hardware layout of a bt848/878 card is supposed to be like this.
TUNER: has two outputs, a mono audio signal and the stereo-encoded
signal.
MSP3400: Takes the stereo encoded signal and decodes it to make stereo
Left and Right channels (currently not done on the FreeBSD driver)
AUDIO MUX: Can switch between the mono audio signal, and the stereo
signal from the MSP3400. It can also select the external audio or
Mute the sound.

We can only use the Mono audio from Tuner direct to Audio Mux.

Now the bttv driver on Linux does use it to get full stereo from
broadcast TV, so we need some kind sole to port part of their
driver over to our driver.

Bye
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresece Group