Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:20:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Why use a daemon as a symbol since it alienates many....

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> f. johan beisser prophesied:
>
> While Johan's entire statement here isn't entirely worthy of trust,
> he 's right in that a Christian shouldn't necessarily be offended by
> the mascot.

i admit to my minor bias against most "christians," and a bad habit of
stereotyping. it doesn't prevent me from respecting those who have faith,
trust, and religion though. we can, if you want, talk about this off list.
i'm sure it would just start a flamewar; a useless, and pointless one at
that.

> This brings up a most interesting point, and one that has certainly been
> demonstrated amply in this thread, to wit: Most 'orthodox' Christians
> (in the US, at least) don't use the 'computer' God gave them very well
> --- the lack of thinking before speaking and forming opinion/convictions
> has been instrumental in leading us toward the sorry status of
> Christendom now apparent in the world.

in my experience, these are people who'd be fanatics no matter what
religion they are. to wit, faith is not the same as religion. you can have
faith, without being orthodox nor strict about following your religion.

this is an aside, though.

> When I first considered using FreeBSD, I had momentary misgivings about
> the mascot.  I am not only a committed Christian, but I had been in
> church since the Sunday after I was born, and though

wow.

i first attended a service in a mosque in turkey. it wasn't, as you can
assume, as a christian. nor as a muslim.

> ($AttendChurch!=$BeingAChristian)
>                                                         there are a few
> strongly held 'cultural' associations that tended to raise my blood
> pressure, or the hackles on my neck (whatever those are) just a bit.  I
> searched for, and fairly quickly found an explanation, as well as a
> compu-historical reference for the term 'daemon,' and I found humor in
> the obvious pun, which is one of the best reasons for the mascot's
> existence.  (I wonder if the OP has raised this issue with Net- or Open-
> hmmmm).  A little thought and a tad of reading went a long way in
> allaying any doubt about something so trivial as a cartoon 'beastie.'

"hackles on the neck" is a dog reference. when they're aggressive/aroused
the fur on the back of the neck raises. the hackles.

> Excellence in rational thought and radical devotion to Christ is far
> preferable to 'beastie bashing', and as for me, that's where my
> efforts will be laid......

that, i think, is something i can agree with. i wish more religious
people would follow your lead. no matter what their religion.

well, "excellence in rational thought and radical devotion" aspect. that
rational thought is important.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits