Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:56:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        jaymax <jaymax36@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mySQL 5.4 server & Post installation SNAFUs

--------------enig356694F821A63F20B605B4AC

jaymax wrote:

> Post installation SNAFUS

> [i] support-files/mysql.server are apparently in "/usr/local/share/mysq=
l" am
> I correct, all of them?

Yes, except that mysql-server is the rc.subr(8) script to start up mysql =
on
boot, and that is to be found in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server

> [ii] mysql_secure_installation is not found in this installation, it is=
 in
> v. 5.5 however.

It's part of a different port. You need to install databases/mysql54-scri=
pts
The same applies to mysql55 actually -- you must have somehow already
installed databases/mysql55-scripts in that case.

> [iii] Start restricted to /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe & apparently since=

> mysql_secure_installation is not available
>=20
> [iv] /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password =3D=3D>=20
> ax# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'xxxxxxxx'
> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'=

> ax# /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h ax.lall.com password xxxxxxxx
> /usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'ax.lall.com' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'ax.lall.com' (using password: NO=
)'
> HOW can I setup root password ?

If you're currently logged into ax.lall.com, then you definitely want
to use '-h localhost' (or nothing, as that's the default).  If there is
already a root password, obviously you need to give it.  Conversely, if
you've got a password set in /root/.my.cnf or some other my.cnf file but
this is a brand new mysql install with no root password yet, then you nee=
to temporarily move that file aside: mysql doesn't let you in if you try
and supply a password for a no-password account.

I advise using mysql_secure_installation -- but you're still going to hav=
to move aside any pre-existing .my.cnf files.  Also, as a general securit=
thing, preferably don't allow root logins to mysql from anywhere other th=
an
localhost.

	Cheers,

	Matthew