Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:17:03 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supporting pkg-plist.gz ?

George,

> No. The files need to be in a 7-bit clean form to allow for the various
> distribution methods. This would mean uuencoding the gzipped
> files (which will impact the effect of compression anyway, although
> not in itself enough to discard the idea). I did a quick test with the
> first page of the handbook in text format. A single character was added to
> the handbook.

Okay. I see your point.

Then perhaps we can separate the distribution and the local storage format?
Perhaps we could support *storing* pkg-plist files in gzipped format. A
downloaded diff would, however, need to be applied to the original file. So
this would mean that for every diff the pkg-plist file would have to be
gunzipped, patched and re-gzipped. Since gzipping is usually very fast this
idea may be worth considering =) The limiting factor will in 99% of the cases
still be the fetching, not the diffing nor the gzipping.

And perhaps the user would be allowed to set an option somewhere that would
trigger this behaviour, allowing him/her to choose between disk space and port
system update speed.

/Ernst:wq

--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ