Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:49:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      KIMURA Yasuhiro <yasu@utahime.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: GNOME 2.12.1 has been merged into the ports tree

From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:22:25 -0600

> >> Another important bit of news related to GNOME 2.12 is that we are no
> >> longer supporting this release on FreeBSD 4.X.  You must be running
> >> FreeBSD 5.3 or higher to get GNOME 2.12 support.
> >
> > Please let me clarily what 'this relese' means in this context.
> > According to the HEADS UP alert of ports tree locking, PORTREVISION of
> > more than 1100 ports are bumped to chase the update of glib20. Does it
> > mean all of them are also no longer supported on 4.x?
>
> Only the libraries or other lower stuff such as glib, pango, gtk and etc
> are still support for FreeBSD 4.x. As for the other desktop stuff aren't
> support for FreeBSD 4.x.

Thank you for quick reply. I am relieved to hear that I don't have to
rush into 5.3 or higher.

But It is good time for me (and for other 4.x users probably) to
consider the migration from 4.x to 5.3 or 6.0 because one of most
major applications in ports tree has decided to stop support of 4.x.
Now FreeBSD has 4 non-obsolete lines and it is hard for large and
complex applications to support all of them. So it will not be far in
the future that 2nd and 3rd ones will come.

---
KIMURA Yasuhiro