Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:13:26 -0700
From:      Steve Lumos <slumos@nevada.edu>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>:
>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Steve Lumos wrote:
>Actually, the user you describe as just 'ending up' places vs. actually
>RTFMing and making informed decissions sounds like a newbie.  With that in
>mind, I'd suggest reading:
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
>
>Specifically,
>
>  "If you haven't installed yet, look for the *latest mainstream
>  release*."

This is a perfect example of how the documentation is going wrong.  If
you have installed FreeBSD, then that ain't you.  That's one reason
why I suggested changing "if you are new to FreeBSD, you are most
likely going to want to think twice about running [-CURRENT]."  There
are a lot more people who ought to think twice about running -CURRENT
then just those who are "new to FreeBSD".

>>   "Changes to this branch have not been widely tested and should not
>>   be depended on to work."
>
>Hmm.  Speak for yourself, and your apparent lack of clue.  Personally, I
>have many working -STABLE boxes.

Well, I might not be the most clueful person in the world, but I can
usually manage to avoid having ad hominem and hasty generalization
fallacies in consecutive sentences.  Do you dislike that sentence
because you claim that -STABLE has been widely tested, or that it
should be depended on to work, or both?

From what other people have said, it seems to be the case that a)
-STABLE used to be exactly what the handbook (until the most recent
update) says it is, and b) it's not anymore, but RELENG_<major>_
<minor> is instead.  I would be interested to hear somebody
authoritative correct that, but otherwise it means the handbook needs
to be fixed.  No big deal, seems to be happening already, everybody be
happy.

Steve