Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:17:45 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steveb@eagle.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perl Syntax

On 6/30/2004 10:04 AM Steve Bertrand wrote:

>>I'm using perl 5.8.4 on a 4.9 machine.  I want to add code a perl script
>>to check for value passed from command line.  If it is null, I want to
>>exit with an error message.
>>
>>First I tried this and got "Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
>>./test.pl line 20."
>>
>>if ($ARGV[0] eq "") {
>>  print "You must include the file name.";
>>  exit 1;
>>}
>>
>>Next I tried this but get "Use of uninitialized value in length at
>>./test.pl line 20."
>>
>>if (length ($ARGV[0]) = "0") {
>>  print "You must include the file name.";
>>  exit 1;
>>}
>>
>>I've searched the web and all examples that I've found indicate that I'm
>>doing things correctly but obviously I'm not.  What am I doing wrong?
>>

>I know this works:
>
>if ($ARGV[0] eq '') {
>        print "Debug Mode\n";
>}
>
>Cheers,
>
>Steve

Thanks for your reply.  I tried your suggestion and it seems to work but
I get this output:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at ./test.pl line 16.
You must include the file name.

I have "use warnings;" and "use strict;" in the script.  I assume the
error comes from the "use warnings;" but why does perl see "eq" as a
string and not an operator?  Or am I misinterpreting the message?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse