Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:11:52 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>, rickl@ic.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alt and Meta mapping (was: possible sc0 problem)

In message <19971013183646.08998@lemis.com>, Greg Lehey writes:

>> I would like to point out that most laptops only have the left
>> alt key easily accessible...
>>
>> [CTRL] + [Fn] + [Alt] + [SQRT(3.141592)] doesn't count as easy.
>
>Most laptops, mine included require some remapping anyway.  I don't
>think that there's an easy way to solve all problems.  Inmy case, I'd
>rather have Alt as Meta, and use [Fn] [Alt] on the few occasions I
>want to switch VTs.

Great fine and all that, just remember that all the people who have
set up X apps (netscape!) for ALT-foo will loose with this change.

I still belive the POLA should win and if you want meta on the left
side, you have to move it there.

I could easily be argued that an option to kbdcontrol which flips
meta&alt around would be the best for all involved.