Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:38:50 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        pf4freebsd@freelists.org
Subject:   HEADSUP: Import of pf from OpenBSD 3.5

--Boundary-02=_DwM0ANfbqanFgY8

All,

I will be importing a new version of pf in the next hour. This is long due =
and=20
really well-tested. However, the first step will bring in OPENBSD_3_5_BASE=
=20
(i.e. the release version, not the STABLE branch). We will catch up on=20
=2DSTABLE soon thereafter. Just FYI, better wait a bit before you re-build=
=20
world to get the new stuff.

The import will enable us to test ALTQ very easily and help in deploying=20
driver changes.

The OpenBSD release notes say:
"+ A large number of bug fixes, changes, and optimizations to our packet=20
   filter pf(4) including:=20
   - Atomic commits of ruleset changes (reduce the chance of ending up in a=
n=20
     inconsistent state).=20
   - A 30% reduction in the size of state table entries.=20
   - Source-tracking (limit number of clients and states per client).=20
   - Sticky-address (the flexibility of round-robin with the benefits of=20
     source-hash).=20
   - Invert the socket match order when redirecting to localhost (prevents =
the=20
     potential security problem of remote connections being identified as=20
     local).=20
   - Significant improvements to interface handling."

=2D-=20
Best regards,				| mlaier@freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier@EFnet