Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:37:49 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace key "<-" not mapping to ^H

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:33:54AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Jordan Gordeev wrote:
> >Gary Kline wrote:
> >>    I'm not sure whether this just in Ubuntu or in the Gnome desktop
=2E..
> >>    servers.  I thought I'd ask here before I dig into this.  I think
> >>    a new xterm was recently updated in ports; not  sure if tat is a
> >>    factor or not.

no (I don't recall making changes in that area).

> >See stty(1) and termios(4). You should modify the erase or erase2 values.

reasonable (Ubuntu uses Debian packages iirc, which makes it use DEL,
FreeBSD uses BS for erase, etc).
=20
> The terminal settings available from gnome (if you open up an xterm /=20
> Gnome terminal shell using the Terminal command under the menu) has=20

gnome-terminal isn't xterm (OP isn't making that distinction either).

xterm has menu settings which can change the assignment of BS/DEL to the
"backspace" key (unlike gnome-terminal, it has a manpage describing these
details ;-).

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net