Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:10:36 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Valentino Vaschetto <logo@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Kaltashkin Eugene <zhecka@klondike.ru>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Mirrors

--E3uLVfkTOQRgdDj6

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:05:54AM -0700, Valentino Vaschetto wrote:
> That would be a great tool to have, but who has the bandwidth for a thing
> like that? What kind of bandwidth would you need?

Lots of folks have the bandwidth for something like this.  It's mainly
that Jordan needs to get off his ass and ask someone to serve such a box
for the explicit purpose.  :)

Part of the problem is that doing mirroring like this has to be done in
a special manner since just offering ftpd access doesn't work.  Rsync
(or, even better, cvsup) would be a much better way to do mirrors.  Of
course most people already know that, it's just that FreeBSD.org's ftp
mirrors simply don't do it this way yet.  Methinks that the ftp mirrors
should take the architecture that John Polstra setup for cvsup.  :-)

To that end, the best place to setup such a site would be at Yahoo!,
since several members of the project work there and they have lots and
lots of copious gigabit bandwidth and it's geographically close to where
the actual bits are rolled at release times (plus where the packages are
built by the bento cluster.  Barring that, there are many sites that
would volunteer to host such a machine.  I don't really need to name any
examples, do I?

--=20
wca

--E3uLVfkTOQRgdDj6