Date:      Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:59:15 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Tagged Queuing? (2nd attempt to get an answer)

On 03/05/05 05:43:52, Kjell B. wrote:
> I sent the below question a month ago, but received no answer. =20
> Therefore, I resend it in the hope of getting one now.
>=20
> ----------
>=20
> I'm considering turning on Tagged Command Queuing in my ATA system. =20
> My
> disks are all Hitachi 7K250 (two HDS722512VLAT80 and one
> HDS722516VLAT80) which according to Hitachi support this feature =20
> (queue
> depth =3D 32).
>=20
> However, I read in
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-July/007378.html
> that there may be problems doing this and not really improving =20
> performance.
>=20
> Is that recommendation still valid or should I go for it?
>=20
> My uname:
>  [homebell] ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD homebell.dyndns.org 4.10-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p2 =20
> #0:
> Mon Oct 18 21:48:34 CEST 2004
> homebell@homebell.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOMEBELLapmipfw  =20
> i386
>=20
>--=20
> Kjell
>=20

Iread some where FreeBSD only supported ibm drives for that, but then =20
all support was throuwn out because nobody used it.  If you want =20
performance try a NCQ SATA II drive.  If you only have ATA TCQ then get =20
a raptor for max performance.  If it is a desktop then leave it off, =20
TCQ is a server feature and slows down normal desktop workloads.  =20
www.storagereview.com