Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:17:30 -0800
From:      "Jason Fesler" <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        "Charles Mott" <cmott@srv.net>, "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Marc Slemko" <marcs@znep.com>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

I've been following this thread with some interest; I'm interested in
doing something a bit similiar.  I'm contemplating the tought of setting
up SSH end-to-end,  and running ppp -direct over the SSH'd TCP
connection.  Only one tunnel would need to be made; from  there,
you have a routable interface, that you can route  subnets at.  The cool
part of this, is that *any* connection routed via that PPP link, will be
happy.
HTTP.. pop.. whatever.  And, it's using easily available parts that aren't
proprietory to some router.

Downside: Commercial use of SSH.  Server is $495, client is $99 - bare
minimum needed to make this work.  However, it's a might  bit cheaper than
what Datafellows want for their version of a VPN - something like 10 times
as expensive.