Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:05:58 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        craigs@os.com (Craig Shrimpton)
Cc:        peterb@telerama.lm.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inodes for news server

Craig Shrimpton stands accused of saying:
> >The history database sitting on it's own disk is a major win,
> >because it gets accessed once for each article that arrives, and every
> >time expire runs.  It doesn't need two gigs though -- a 500 meg disk is
> >more than adequate to hold two copies of a pretty big history file (and
> >nothing else!)
> >

> Hmmm.. this sounds interesting, how about this:
>
> 1 850 MG IDE containing FreeBSD/OS, swap and news programs.

Don't even _think_ about swapping to an IDE disk, especially on a news
server.  In fact, don't even _think_ about using IDE for any application
where performance is important.

> Also, give each SCSI drive its own controller.

Put the news disks on one controller, and the swap and history disks on
another.

> Craig Shrimpton                              Email:  craigs@os.com

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[