Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:02:01 +1030 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LDT changes to support SysVR4 emulator

Ok, people, heads up -- I'm about to commit a patch to /sys/i386
which changes the way FreeBSD uses the x86 LDT.  Specifically,
I'm moving LUDATA_SEL from LDT entry 4 to 5 (Why 5?  Why not?)
and re-using entry 4 as a call gate for SysV system calls made
by library stubs from Solaris 2.6 and higher.

I've been running with these mods for about a month now with no
problems at all (there are no userland implications AFAICT).
Nevertheless, I'm going to leave this in for a couple of days
before committing the rest of the emulator to give interested
parties a chance to bitch at me :-)

Cheers,

    - mark