Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        reichert@numachi.com
Cc:        ragnar@sysabend.org, brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD drive.

[deleting -mobile]

It would subject one to litigation to attempt to violate the law so
flagrantly.

Speaking purely hypothetically, it is possible for someone like me, from a
purely theoretical standpoint, to outline the steps one might need to take
to play an encrypted DVD on a FreeBSD machine.

First, you'll notice that any drive you buy nowadays is region-locked. This
means that when you get it from the store, it does not have a region
selected. It, therefore, will petulently refuse to play any encrypted
content. I believe utilities exist to set the region on *nix, but the last
time I encountered such a drive, I just plugged it into a handy Windows
machine, played a DVD on it, thus forcing it to set the region. Beware that
without certain other (arguably illegal) actions you may be limited to
changing the region on your drive a certain number of times.

I have had no trouble at all playing unencrypted (pr0n) DVDs using the xine
port (aviplay from the avifile port also works well, but has nothing to do
with DVDs). I've had no end of problems with xmps, mainly because I use kde
and want to build it without gnome (that is, without loading a dozen extra
ports for no other reason), and the non-gnome version won't resize the skin
for different sizes of video window. xine is still in its infancy, but
hopefully it will be ready for prime time just about the time the courts all
decide that the DMCA is nonsense. :-)

One could theoretically postulate that searching google for +xine +dvd
+plugin might yield the location of a version of the dvd plugin for xine
that has DeCSS built into it. One might speculate that using this plugin
would make encrypted disks function exactly like unencrypted ones for the
purposes of playing them back with xine.