Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:52:14 -0800
From:      Don Morrison <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   so-called "spindown" problem

During heavy disk activity, such as performing an fsck I've
run into the kernel messages:

wd1: interrupt timeout:
wd1: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>
wd1: wdtimeout() DMA status 4

I looked at the mail archives, and noticed some suggest that
this is due to a disk spindown.  My question is, how does
the disk spindown during an fsck?  Maybe I'm just
completely ignorant here, but I can't see a logical reason
for it to do this under constant disk activity.

Could the messages be caused by bad disk blocks?  Just looking
for an alternate explanation here..