Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 14:26:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/10664: Notes on 2.2.8 -> 3.1 migration

>Number:         10664
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Notes on 2.2.8 -> 3.1 migration
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

root@b1.cygnus.com# uname -a
FreeBSD b1.cygnus.com 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #3: Thu Mar 18 19:43:54 EST 1999     cagney@b1.cygnus.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/B2pcm  i386

Just FYI.

* How was it?

trivial[]; ok[]; annoyances[X]; problems[]; disaster[]; you'll be
hearing from the lawyers[].

(2.2.7 -> 2.2.8 was ``trivial'').

* What problems?

* /etc/rc.firewall wasn't restored:

A new version of that file was installed in /etc instead of keeping
around my existing (and highly customized version).  Just FYI.

* ldconfig and aout->elf shared libraries:

Yes the notes warned about this one :-) I suspect that further
preparation is needed on my part - but then I didn't have much to go
on.

When the system comes up /etc/defaults/rc.conf sets
``ldconfig_paths_aout'' to "/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
/usr/local/lib/aout".  Unfortunately on an ill prepared ex 2.2.8 system
this isn't the case.

Perhaps a note bringing the admins attention to this one.  The admin
could then: re-arrange their shared libraries in readiness; just
append the old paths to the above.

* New bind (named), no compatibility mode, no obvious doco:

Another big jump.  Bind changes and there isn't a quick/easy way to
revert to the old bind while the new config file is being built.
(Fortunately the new bind does come up in a vaguely sane state :-).

The real problem was finding any documentation on this new beastie so
that I could get my server working again.

* Kernel.

Hey the new man pages are useful!  Migrating my kernel config to the
new sources didn't prove too hard.  I just had to grub through
config/{GENERIC,LINT} and device man pages (bktr was very clear) to
determine what I needed to add/delete.

No real surprises with this one.

* A ``X-Kern-Developer'' category?

``Full binaries and doc, kernel sources, X Window system''.
Just a suggestion :-)

* Should the ports/src directories be moved aside?

Just some defensive thoughts (I did this by hand).  Should the upgrade
process at least warn the user that the /usr/ports and /usr/src
directories are about to be trashed.  (Since they contain both old and
new stuff they need replacing.

For ports, what I did was saved /usr/ports/distfiles but trashed
everything else.

>How-To-Repeat:

Try doing another 2.2.8 -> 3.1 migration

>Fix:

If this is all I've got to complain about things can't be going too
bad.  Well done.