Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:26:23 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kld and on demand device loading

> Naturally, this is pipe dream stuff right now, but I'd like to take
> a shot at it in a month or two and see if I can sell DG on the
> idea. :-)

   I'm keeping an open mind.  Please keep in mind that, like no other
data structure in the system, adding something to struct vm_page has
serious memory use considerations.  One longword extra would consume
1MB of RAM on wcarchive (4MB in the near future).  I just went through
this in email with Matt Dillon who was also adding something to
vm_page.
   So, the bottom line is that if it results in a neutral or reduction
of total memory use in the system - merging pv_entry with vm_page, for
example, then I'm open to looking at it further.  If not, well, you
better have a REAL good reason. :-)

-DG

David Greenman