Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:28:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Thomas Ewing <Thomas_Ewing@tamu-commerce.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jounaling File System

In the last episode (Aug 17), Chris Fedde said:
> * Thomas Ewing <Thomas_Ewing@tamu-commerce.edu> [000816 19:11] wrote:
> > I have recently been working on setting up a linux server for
> > archiving our applications for ne wcomputer installs. One of my
> > concerns with using linux though, is that it does not have a
> > journaling file system, so that if a sudden power loss occurs, it
> > is a very tedious and time consuming task to get the linux box back
> > up and running. Does freebsd have a journaling file system? I am
> > assuming it does since it is unix based, but I wanted to be sure
> > before I spent a lot of time setting one up and then finding out it
> > doesn't.
>
> If the only need for a journaling file system is to support fast
> recovery from power failures you should look at softupdates in the
> FreeBSD ufs.   This feature will almost completely eliminate
> inconsistencies caused by crashing an unsynched file system.  It
> does not eliminate the boot time fsck, but the probability that fsck
> will find a problem is minimized.

Also note that FreeBSD's fsck is much faster than Linux'es.  I haven't
seen a filesystem that didn't fsck in less than 5 minutes after a
crash, even ones with a full CVS repository (i.e. 200,000 files) or
90-gig ones full of multi-gigabyte files.  I've also never had fsck -p
fail on a soft-updates filesystem, even on a machine that I simply
power off every night because it's a keyboardless box and I can't be
bothered to telnet to it.  It fscks in under 30 seconds every time, and
I've only had to hook a keyboard up to it when I botch a kernel
install.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com