Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 22:19:05 -0500
From:      Tom Legg <tjlegg@shore.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minor rc.network bug for 4.0 and ipfw

I don't want to file a bug report for this until I can hear some
discussion about the direction of ipfw. (is FreeBSD moving towards a
system that prefers loading modules like ipfw for machines that might
prefer denying all lkm?)

The current situation creates a potential problem for 4.0 admins (at
least I didn't notice it until I upgraded to the 4.0 kernel)

If you compile a kernel with ipfw in the kernel but do nothing to
modify /etc/defaults/rc.conf and boot, net.inet.ip.fw.enable is set
to 1 and since the defaults for enable is NO, no further action is
done upon the firewall scripts.

Since the current /etc/rc.network only seems to check for
firewall_enable="yes", it doesn't seem to reverse the default (which
is enable=1) and at the same time doesn't read any of the options
about what type of firewall the user would like. I've written a test
patch for /etc/rc.network that checks for the case
firewall_enable="no" and set net.inet.ip.fw.enable to 0. (note: this
has to go at least before the dhcp client invocation *grin*) But
something seems wrong about doing a check during a boot to reset the
sysctl value to the "default".

I would think a better approach would be to keep the kernel code with
enable=0 and then let /etc/rc.network load the kernel modules if
necessary and enable the firewall if firewall_enable="yes".

--
-----
Tom Legg