Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:21:38 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unexpected lockups on SMP boxes

[Resent to -questions instead of -smp]

Hi all,

my SMP boxes (FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE) seem to freeze in a while. There
are no panics and no apparent symptoms other than lockups after which
they have to be forcefully rebooted. I have never experienced this on
any uniprocessor machine with similar configuration and tasks (Apache,
BIND, ProFTPd, MySQL).

Configurations:
1. ServerWorks chipset, dual 866MHz, 1GB ECC ram, fxp NIC
2. VIA chipset, dual 866MHz, 1GB ram, xl NIC (locks up) or fxp NIC (also)

SMP was just enabled by uncommenting the SMP lines in the default
kernel config file.

Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe a hint on what I should check? Or
is this something that can be expected from 4.x SMP support?

Thanks!
walter

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | Finger for public key