Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:24:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      Maho NAKATA <chat95@mac.com>
To:        lists@mawer.org
Cc:        adrian@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Only 70% of theoretical peak performance on FreeBSD 8/amd64, Corei7 920

Hi Antony

I think this is not the case. I tested TurboBoost on/off on Ubuntu, Got=
oBLAS
achieved 95% of theoretical perfomance for both cases.

cf. http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-023143.htm
and http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nakatamaho/e/86c0f4ac529fd5b530454ed795e6b466=
 (written in Japanese, tho)
Thanks

From: Antony Mawer <lists@mawer.org>
Subject: Re: Only 70% of theoretical peak performance on FreeBSD 8/amd6=
4, Corei7 920
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:58:17 +1000

> This may well be the same sort of issue that was discussed in this th=
read here:
> =

>     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-March/031=
004.html
> =

> In short, the Core i7 CPUs have a feature called "TurboBoost" where
> the clock speed of one or more cores is boosted when other cores are
> idle and in a C2 or C3 sleep status ... if the appropriate power
> saving mode isn't active on the system (which I don't think FreeBSD
> does by default?), the idle cores are never put into the appropriate
> power saving state, and as a result TurboBoost never kicks in...
> =

> It _may_ be that Ubuntu configures this correctly whereas FreeBSD doe=
> not (out of the box)?
> =

> Of course it may be something else entirely, but worth checking out..=
.=

> =

> --Antony
> =

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wr=
ote:
>> Of course, what would be helpful is actually figuring out what is
>> going on rather than some conjecture. :)
>>
>> With what he said, tweaking memory allocation under FreeBSD and/or
>> linux would change the performance characteristics and either valida=
te
>> or disprove his assumptions?
>>

>> Adrian
>>
>> On 12 April 2010 12:12, Maho NAKATA <chat95@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Hi FreeBSD developers,
>>> [the original article in Japanese can be found at
>>> http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nakatamaho/e/b5f6fbc3cc6e1ac4947463eb1ca4eb0a=
 ]

>>> *Abstract*
>>> I compared the peak performance of FreeBSD 8.0/amd64 and Ubuntu 9.1=
0 amd64 using dgemm
>>> (a linear algebra routine, matrix-matrix multiplication).
>>> I obtained only 70% of theoretical peak performance on FreeBSD 8/am=
d64 and
>>> almost 95% on Ubuntu 9.10 /amd64. I'm really disappointed.
>>>
>>> *Introduction*
>>> I'm a friend of Gotoh Kazushige, the principal developers of GotoBL=
AS. He told me that