Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:52:14 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anyone using HP E45 Netserver or HP Brio? Need reliable uptime server ...

Roger P. Johnson wrote:

>     The Netserver E45 with Ultra SCSI, CD-ROM, 10/100 NIC, 233 MHZ
> for approx. $1500 looks good fro Computer Discount Warehouse ...
>
>     Is there anyone that can give me any feed back on their experience
> with HP servers using FreeBSD ?
>
>     What brand of BIOS does HP use ? Phoenix (please say no), AMI,
> other ?

***

I have tried exactly this model few days ago. 2.2.5-RELEASE installs
smoothly, so I mean newer versions also. This box haves Intel
Etherexpress 10/100B card (a good one), but only narrow SCSI interface
(AIC-7860 chip) and an 4,3GB HP disk. Unfortunately HP modified Phoenix
BIOS is the brand ;-). For servers I suggest wide SCSI but this depends
what you serve, certainly. Very ordinary pc based server as I can say.

Sincerely

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee