Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 01:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Craig A. Struble" <cstruble@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help recovering from major mistake

Hi, I just made a major mistake with my FreeBSD drive that I hope I can
recover from. Not thinking too far ahead, I tried to install OS-BS on a
dangerously dedicated FreeBSD drive. This had the unfortunate side effect
of wiping out both the boot code and disklabel from the drive. I'd like to
restore them, but I don't have a printout of what the disklabel used to
be. Therein lies the challenge.

Using my FreeBSD CD-ROMs, I've been able to go into fixit mode and mount
the root filesystem of the drive, but I'm not sure where to go from there.
How can I figure out what my old disklabel was? Is there some way I can
search the raw disk for the locations of the file systems?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Please email me directly with your

	See ya later,
		Craig
--
Craig Struble (cstruble@vt.edu)   Ph.D. Candidate, Virginia Tech