Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:32:11 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Chiu <pccb@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip_portrange in rc.conf

Peter Chiu wrote:

> I found two setting in /etc/default/rc.conf
> ip_portrange_first and ip_portrange_last.
>
> I assume these setting are for ftp. Am I correct?
> If so, is it only work for the stock freebsd ftp daemon?

No, I don't think FTP uses this.  FTP uses "high" port numbers, set by
these sysctl values:

net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst: 49152
net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast: 65535

You can change these in /etc/sysctl.conf if you really want to, though
I don't know if all FTP servers will take notice of them.  The ip(4)
manpage explains a bit about this.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D