Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 05:09:38 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        stable at FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Two FBSD slices on one disk - losing mountpoints?

After reading the 4.5 Handbook, and searching with Google and FBSD's own
engines, I cannot find anything to soothe my apprehension about what I see:

I have FBSD on ad0s2. I want FBSD 4.5-REL on ad0s1. 'fdisk' is no problem,
and neither is 'disklabel', EXCEPT that as I create the [FBSD] partitions
in ad0s1, the mountpoints in the existing ad0s2 disappear, and 'disklabel'
tells me I already have such-and-such mountpoint when I try to re-mount
the partitions in ad0s2.

I'm talking about using 'sysinstall' on a booted 4.5-REL install CD, not
the command-line 'disklabel'.

My question is: By creating new partitions in ad0s1, am I really losing
the existing mountpoints in ad0s2? If so, how do I restore 'em? Or am I
missing something fundamental here?

I know two FBSDs can exist on one drive. Am I worrying about nothing?
I cannot risk losing the FBSD on ad0s2.

TIA,
Dave

PS, I posted this yesterday on questions@, but got no takers, and I'm
rather hard-pressed for time. Bad form, I know, sorry.

--