Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 02:13:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

>    The problem you're having is that the "2.2" release is actually called
> 2.2.0 (that's what the tag is in the repository), so 2.2.5 is not going down.
> We should perhaps make this more clear in the product literature, but I
> really don't think that most people are confused over this issue.

Actually, I found this very far from clear; at about the time 2.2.2 was
released, I gained the ability to track the source tree via cvsup. I
looked long and hard at the documentation on my system and the webpages,
even searched the mail archives, but I could not find an obvious answer
as to which branch to track to remain stable. It seemed to me, as others
have noted, that  2.2.2 is "greater" than 2.2 from a numerical
standpoint, and that hence it should be the release to track to remain
stable with the source tree.

I should also note that at that time the web documentation still referred
to 2.1 as the stable branch, and 2.2 as current, which did not help to
ease my confusion. I should HOPE this has changed by now :)

It took a question or two to the mailing list to straighten me out and
point me to 2.2-stable as the release to track. (I think I may have been
trying to track 2.2.2-stable or something).

So if my opinion counts for anything in this debate, it goes for the
2.2.5-stable branch name. :)

Kris