Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:31:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Heck With Mac68k, How about G3/G4?

Darwin runs based on BSD 4.4. If you have been paying real close attention
you know that Apple people have talked about using FreeBSD code. ( I use
to search their sight and come back with hits for FreeBSD this and that. )

I know Darwin runs a Mach microkernel. It would seem to me that one could
build FreeBSD source under the Mach kernel using whatever compiler runs on
Darwin to create a pseudo port of FreeBSD that uses -stable with a Mach
kernel. Maybe using a NetBSD kernel would be even better.

It seems like one would need a cpu = G3 config option once all the tools
are built and away you go. Kinda like the great aout-to-elf conversion.

I know its not _that_ easy. I would think it is easier than starting from
scratch. Are there any Mac owners out there crazy enough to do this?

I know Jordan might not spend any effort to make it happen. If someone
gave it to him on a silver platter I bet he wouldn't say no. :)

Why would _I_ want such a thing? Choice and diversity is my reason.
Anything to break the dominant Wintel paradigm is good with me.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither