Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 00:23:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mustek Scanner

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > 	I have a Mustek Scanner (12000SP), and I am currently using the
> > SCSI card that came with it.
>
> [ Card found, but Scanner isn't ]
>
> > Am I missing something obvious/stupid?
>
> FreeBSD doesn't have 'scanner' support.  The HP scanners that are
> supported 'just happen' to response as processor type devices, and the
> user-mode driver that works with it is specific to the HP.
>
> I believe NetBSD has some scanner support, but I haven't looked at it
> since I attempted (unsuccessfull) to port it to FreeBSD a couple years
> ago.

I thought that the SCSI drivers would at least return an indication that
a device was found on the bus, and just say it didn't know what to do
with it.  Isn't that what the SCSI_DEBUG option is for?  Anyway, I
believe it did this a few years ago when I put a WORM drive on my
machine and there was no support it.  I am sure it located a 280M SONY
SMO drive I used to use with FreeBSD, long before there was special
support for it in the kernel.

	brian