Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 13:15:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: xfree4 by default?

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 31-Dec-01 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > What is the proceedure one must follow to present xfree4 as the new
> > default?  It's been around for a long time and support a LOT more
> > chipsets a lot better.  Can we go ahead and just pull some switch
> > or are there more sinister issues involved?
>
> The last time I and others brought this up to Jordan, the tentative plan
> was to switch for 5.0.  At this point in the game it is probably a bit
> late for 4.5, however, if you want to head up an effort to get test port
> builds done after the release with 4 as the default and get people to
> test it out then perhaps a switch could be done for 4.6.

When I raised the switch last, I was told we needed more compatibility
glue to make sure libraries were installed appropriately for some
applications, and to handle ports dependencies correctly.  Ports probably
needs to be tought to have applications depend either on X11 generally
(not version-specific), or on appropriate X11 libs by version, not the
entire X implementation.  That way applications that could run against
both sets of .so's would use whatever was installed, and those requiring
specific libraries could get them as dependencies without pulling in (say)
the old xterm over the default one.