Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:46:34 -0400
From:      Matthew Pope <mpope@teksavvy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems after rebuild of 5.5 stable

Added to my original problem description the full list of WARNING
messages from boot:
BTW, my FreeBSD 5.5 is running on a Pentium 4/2.4 GHz, 512 M RAM, Asus
mother board, oodles of disk

Matthew Pope wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a bit of grey hair, but I've been blessed with working with
> FreeBSD gurus so much that I am struggling to run my own domain and
> webserver. That is I have have been co-dependant upon FreeBSD gurus in
> the past, so I was lazy. I'm now on my own and finding that
> administering a UNIX system based domain and webserver is rewarding,
> but requires a lot of technical knowledge.
>
> The root of my problem was my 5.4 based system was running out of
> sockets due to a close early problem, and a problem description I read
> in the mailing lists did describe something very close, for which the
> discoverer of the problem provided a patch. Rather than patch, I
> thought it that since it's been a year, it was time to rebuild the
> kernel with the latest STABLE release.  So I did the rebuild as
> instructed in the FreeBSD Handbook.  Now I'm up to 5-5 STABLE using a
> default kernel Generic i386 version.
>
> The mergemaster step following the rebuild and reboot took me for a
> ride. Rather I rode free and easy not quite sure what I was doing.  I
> was not sure exactly which file to go with, and I tended to choose t
> for temp file for many of the prompts.  Now my 5.5 kernel boots, but
> there are a number of messages of the form:
> source_rc_confs: not found
> $ipnat_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)
> $ipfs_enable is not set properly - see rc.conf(5)

same message as above but with these additional var names:
$harvest_ethernet
$harvest_p_to_p
$start_vinum
$background_fsck