Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 11:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jessem@livecam.com
To:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        jessemonroy@email.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.org A KA ftp.freesoftware.com]

On  3 May, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> From: jessem@livecam.com
> Subject: Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.org A   KA ftp.freesoftware.com]
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
>
>> At your request, I have moved this to hackers.
>
> You mean chat.  Thank you.

Yes, Thank you.

>> Per your insistance, that this has nothing to do with hackers, is
>> in my opinion Bull.
>
> Your opinion doesn't count for much in this case since it's clearly
> not a -hackers issue.  The freebsd-hackers mailing list, as is again
> clearly outlined in the charter I pointed you to, is for technical
> discussion.  I simply cannot see how anyone with a reasonable command
> of english could read into that a mandate for discussing the FTP site.
> There's even a mailing list purely devoted to discussing that
> infrastructure and it's called hubs@freebsd.org.

charter-smarter... the point is everyone within the FreeBSD community
should be aware of this situation. If anything, this is a rally
call for BSDers. I'm upset because there are people within
the community that are fully willing to help, be involved and
spend their *own* money to see this through. As such, -hackers (et al.)
should know this to be the case.

Emailing you privately has prove to be less than useful.

>> The pettyness that is rising *is* solely on your part. I have no
>> agenda here other than that *that is good* for BSD and the businesses
>> and jobs around BSD.
>
> What you evidently see as pettyness is my simply trying to keep the
> mailing lists sane and comparatively focused on things other than
> flamebait.
>
> You seem equally adept at generating flamebait and then attempting to
> pass it off under the guise of "supporting the community" or "doing
> what's good for BSD" and when people come back and call a spade a
> spade, you evade the issue entirely by suggesting that identifying
> flamebait as such constitutes a fear of your opinions or some other
> such rubbish.  Sorry, I don't buy it.

Okay, I'll agree with you on that. At times I have purposefully
done this. And in this case, I know (word of mouth) there are issues
that even I will not discuss in writing. None the less, 'aliens'
in this context is an escape mechanism (I expected it to used as
such).

Personally, I have not felt this much tension in years. Perhaps
since 'pussycat.net'. In any case, I will stop flame baits,
if you resort thing we can agree on.

Per Windriver, the announcement on April 4, 2001 clearly
states in the second headline, "Agreement Ensures Continued
Support of Open Source FreeBSD Project." In plain english,
this should mean we can continue to develop as we have
in the past and when Windriver has a course change we
will listen.

Well, to date, no one outside of Windriver knows what
that involvement has been. Speculation is based partly
on bad experiences in the Linux community with other
corporate involvements. Add to that BSD involvements
in the past with corporations, has not been altogether
benifical.

Speculation started not with me, but as response of current
events and past situations. One would expect nothing less.

>> I urge you to stop the rhetoric NOW. I urge you to respond, as
>> we would expect a BSDer to respond when dealing with issues
>> of a professional nature.
>
> I have already responded, in just over 5000 words, to freebsd-announce
> as a BSDer.  The fact that you then chose to regard that as a cover-up
> for some reason is your own doing and not something I can even
> genuinely respond to since I think the only response which would
> satisfy you at this point would be something to the effect of:
>
> OK Jesus, you're right, you caught us.  This has all been a highly
> orchestrated plot between Wind River and Microsoft, who are secretly
> in collusion and actually the same company, to wipe out a promising
> young operating system effort and acquire its developers for pennies
> on the dollar.  They figured that after they got us all turned out on
> the streets and forced to sell our bodies and various internal organs
> for food, they could acquire us cheap and get us to sign the waiver
> form that allows the Visual Basic brain implants.  Then we'd simply
> turn into Borg-like zombies who wrote Visual Basic all day long
> without complaint and nothing other than an occasionally mumbled
> "ActiveX controls are good!" escaping from our lips.
>
> Ah Jesus, I quail before your mighty insight!

For a moment, I though you might see this point. I urge you to
reconsider this point and return to the discussion.

Then again as I BCC Lynne for the last time on this subject,
I must consider she is right. Because I have not heard this *just*
from her, "the aging BSD mafia...prefer to sit in their towers
reliving past intrigues and battles. The have become anachronism
in an Internet World."

				Best Regards,
				Jessem.