Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:44:36 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Supporting pkg-plist.gz ?

Hi George,

> > Then perhaps we can separate the distribution and the local storage format?
>
> That's a possibility. However, if the local storage format and the
> distribution format differ, there must exist some method of converting
> between one and the other. CVSup could learn how to support
> locally-compressed files, or a script could be run before CVSup to
> decompress all plist files and then recompress them afterwards. I'm not
> sure this idea would work very well, but I'm open to suggestions/comments.

Decompressing all pkg-plist files on forehand doesn't sound like a good idea,
since the other approach supports a multi-threaded/processing approach. The
performance will in my expectation be much higher, since downloading is
typically much slower than (de)compressing for the size of files we are
talking about (between 1K and 1M).

If CVSup would support locally compressed files, then supporting gzipped pkg-*
files would be a trivial change. =) Perhaps I/we should talk to the CVSup
developers and ask their opinion.

> The other possibility of supporting compressed plist files (apart from
> gzip) is some sort of custom ASCII tokenisation (i.e. replace all
> instances of "share/doc/foo/bar/" with "A" and list this substitution
> at the top of the plist). This method would enable the size of plist files
> to be reduced without worrying about repository bloat. Comments?

This sounds like a fairly good idea. If we could use `standard' tools for this
then that would be the best solution, IMO.

/Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ