Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:14:34 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Edward O'Callaghan" <eocallaghan@alterapraxis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel Controllers [Rant]

Current hardware for the most part gets rushed out to meet marketing
schedules and marketing requirements.

A lot of the time there are bugs that can't be fixed and are pushed
out until the next chip run.

Some bugs can be fixed by just changes to a final metal layer. Some
bugs can be fixed by PROM mask bit changes that twiddle various
internal bits in the chip (eg disabling/enabling function specific
registers.)

Some bugs require a full re-spin of the mask set.

All of these happen at schedules that we consumers don't see.

That's why you'll see this kind of seemingly schizophrenic behaviour.
There may be one controller chip under the hood for a large number of
silicon revisions but with features enabled/disabled, bugs
fixed/reintroduced, etc.

The irony is this - if they wanted to make perfect(er) chips, they'd
end up spending so long and dumping so much money into it that it'd be
unprofitable. Remember, CPUs are perfect(ish!) because we spend a lot
more on them per chip than most ethernet controller chips, which I bet
are measured in unit costs of a small number of dollars to begin with
for the high end chips, and fractions of a dollar for what goes into
laptops..

2c,

-adrian