Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 10:44:05 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why can't I check out RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE?

> OK, it wasn't in val-tags, so I tried again, with
>
>    cvs co -r RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE src
>
> It took nearly 10 minutes, during which it created only src/CVS and
> (correct) contents.  Then it started checking out normally.  It still
> hasn't finished, but it has updated val-tags, so I'll assume it's a
> quirk rather than a bug.  I'll put something in the book about it.
>
> > I don't know why it doesn't find the tag sooner than it does.  I have
> > a suspicion that it's searching the whole repository including the
> > ports tree, which does not contain that tag.
>
> It can't be that simple, since this time I checked out only src.

But that's what I'm saying -- I suspect it searches the whole
repository regardless of which module you're checking out.

Strictly speaking, it has to do that.  It needs to know whether the
tag is valid anywhere in the repository.  If it's valid even outside
of the module you're checking out, then has to know that so it won't
tell you that the tag is invalid.  But it could be a lot smarter
about it.  It should search first in the module you specified, and
only later in other places.

John