Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:13:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Janos Dohanics" <web@3dresearch.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is this a hard drive crash?

I have a FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE system with 2 gmirrors. The gmirrors are
arranged as gm0 consisting of ad0 and ad2 and gm1 consisting of ad1 and
ad3. gm0 has the / partition.

This system has crashed a couple of times recently. I got messages like
these on the terminal:

ad0: SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request
directly
ad0: SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing request
directly
ad0: SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out LBA=3D3956063
panic: initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started

Upon reboot, gm0 could not find it's component ad2, but I could rebuild
the RAID after forget/insert.

I also ran the Seagate drive utility which found no problems with the
drive. When the same kind of crash happened again, I thought the problem
may be the IDE controller, I have replaced the motherboard.

Now it crashed again with the new motherboard - and I don't know what
should I do next: should I just replace an apparently good hard drive?

Also, if this is just a hard drive crash, shouldn't  the system keep
going?

Janos Dohanics