Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:59:26 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   dbopen man page

I have some questions about the dbopen(3) man page.

1.  It seems to me that the list of includes should include something
like
#include <fcntl.h>
otherwise the various flags for open(2) are not defined (like O_RDWR,
etc), and these are needed for dbopen.

2.  If I do something like this:
db->get(db,&key,&data,0);
db->del(db,&key,0);
then after the del command, the values pointed to by data are no longer
valid (that is *(data.data) will have a new value).

With hindsight this is obvious, but it caught me out, and maybe a
warning in the man page would be appropriate.  (Or maybe it is there and
I didn't see it.)

3.  This is nothing to do with FreeBSD, but maybe someone here knows.
In Red-Hat Linux the dbopen man page is the same as for FreeBSD, but in
the include files dbopen is supposed to have an extra 2nd argument of
type DBX*.  Anyone know what this is?  The programs I wrote for FreeBSD
won't compile in Red-Hat Linux.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu